About Us - Program Information
Island Discovery is a Distributed Learning program operated by Powell River Board of Education. Our program is led by B.C. certified teachers who support learners who want to learn at home and in their local communities, rather than a regular school environment.
- Students and families follow individualized learning plans which are designed and supervised by our teachers. This learning plan is highly collaborative, is created based on the needs and interests of each learner, and can be adapted throughout the year.
- Teachers meet with students and families informally throughout the year, in order to update plans, assess progress, plan finances, and to review and set goals, as well as four formal conferences each year – one to create the learning plan and three for reporting each term, in December, March, and June.
- Part-time classroom programs are offered on Bowen Island and other locations in the lower mainland. Classes are gently teacher-led and follow an attachment-based model. See Program Foundations for more information.
- Some funding is available to most families, especially those who are not in our part-time classroom programs. We can purchase learning materials for you from our pre-approved vendors, or pay for classes which have been designated as part of the student’s learning plan, as long as the provider is certified and approved by the school district. We can also reimburse a portion of your internet fees. Other opportunities may include website subscriptions, memberships, field trips, and materials on loan from our library.
- We want to establish a relationship with you which is collaborative and respectful of the diverse learning journey you are on with your child, and we promise to celebrate your child for exactly who they are.