Island Discovery’s Code of Conduct has been established to maintain a safe, respectful and caring learning community.
- Helping make the learning centre a safe, caring place
- Taking part willingly in our learning environment
- Showing compassion and integrity
- Being encouraging and positive
- Demonstrating respect for self and others and our learning environment
- Letting adults know of incidents of harassment or intimidation
- Being open to change
- Interfering with the learning of others
- Use of violence or weapons
- Hurting others physically or emotionally
- Behaviour or communication that discriminates based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, age, physical or mental disability, sex, or sexual orientation (from the BC Human Rights Code)
Unacceptable behaviour will be managed with a restorative, rather than punitive manner, and will take into account a student’s age, maturity, and special needs, if any.
Island Discovery’s code of conduct promotes the values expressed in the BC Human Rights Code respecting the rights of all individuals in accordance with the law – prohibiting discrimination based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, age, physical or mental disability, sex or sexual orientation – in respect of discriminatory publication and discrimination in accommodation, service, and facility in the school environment.