Registration - Process
Registration Now Open
Island Discovery is currently accepting registrations.
Differences between Homeschooling and Distributed Learning
When our kids are not in “regular” brick and mortar schools, most of us consider ourselves “homeschoolers” since our children are not in school every day.
But it is important to be clear about Ministry of Education definitions around the difference between “Distributed Learning” and “Homeschooling”.
- you closely follow the BC Curriculum
- you follow a teacher-led learning plan
- you submit work to a B.C. Certified teacher on a regular basis
- you conference with your teacher regularly throughout the year
- three formal reports are given, including a year end report card
- you are considered “enrolled” by your DL school
- the student’s educational plan is created, delivered, and supervised by parents
- the program does not need to meet provincial standards
- there are no reporting requirements
- students do not receive a BC Dogwood graduation certificate
- you are considered “registered” by your school
Registration at Island Discovery is ongoing throughout the year. We are supported by Powell River Board of Education with Partners in Education (PIE). We will offer the choices of a part-time classroom program or full-time distributed learning at home.
Go to Programs for more information on each of these options.
Additionally, we will offer Grade 8 & 9 cross enrollment and Grade 10 to 12 full time courses or Grade 10 to 12 part time courses.
Families can live anywhere in B.C. and take part in our full-time distributed learning option. Part-time classroom participation is only available in select locations.
We use a secure GSuite Education Platform for communication and collaboration with our families. Parents must be willing and able to use this system in order to participate in our program.
Please follow these enrollment steps:
- Initial Call: It is important to ensure you are a good fit for the program and that the program is a good fit for you. We are able to thoroughly answer your questions and offer choices during an initial phone call.
- Come for a visit: If you are interested in one of our part-time classroom programs, talk with us about scheduling a visit for you and your child, including a possible 1-2 day trial.
- Fill out the registration form on the SD47 website. Click here to go to the online form